The Husbandry Course was created to fill a pressing need. Knowledge of the husbandry of large and small felids was being lost with the changeover of zoo personnel over the years. With this in mind, we acted to create this course to facilitate the transfer of this knowledge to all levels of experience and interest in felids. In 2021 we updated and revamped our feline husbandry courses into 2 separate 4 hour workshops. Course instructors come from a wide variety of institutions and have many years of felid experience between them. With the knowledge they possess, the area of felid husbandry is covered in detail with the goal of spreading this knowledge and providing the tools for the students to do so as well.
February 19, 2023 from 1-5PM EST
Perfect for people newer in the field, new keepers, students, interns and volunteers.
- Provide a brief overview of captive feline management in today’s world
- Prepare students to create a plan of care that includes health, nutrition, training, enrichment, and proper housing
- Understand the importance of safety, regulation, and record keeping
February 26, 2023 from 1-5PM EST
Perfect for people with at least 1 year experience working with felids. If you have less then one year experience you must take the Beginner Husbandry course as a prerequisite to the Advanced Husbandry course.
- Understand the mental, physical, and psychological needs of the animals in our care
- Investigate common health issues in felines and ways to mitigate future problems
- Provide resources to master public safety and perception when working with wild felines